Like Peanut butter & Jelly, yin & yang, and according to my 5 year old cheese crackers & apple slices. Ketchup and fries are a classic combination. So how could we make a delicious veggie packed ketchup without its natural bestie? Inconceivable! We wouldn't! We couldn't! Fear not because we didn't! We have been searching (a.k.a. eating) for the best french fries recipe and think we may have it figured out. Please be warned that this recipe does require a few extra steps, some planning, and a few friends to share in all the ridiculously good flavors! So lets get started!
- Russet potatoes, cleaned, but not peeled, cut into fries into 3/8 of an inch
- Sea salt, to taste
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Preheat 2" of oil in a Dutch oven or deep fryer to 325 degrees.
- Place the fries into a large bowl and add ice cold water.Swish the fries around to rinse the starch out and drain of paper towels. Repeat until the water runs clear of starch.
- Dump fries out onto a large towel and pat dry.
- Working in batches, deep fry the fries until they turn a light brown color. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Let fries cool to room temperature, we recommend at least 10 minutes.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees for second fry
- Working in batches, add the fries back to the still hot oil and fry until they reach the desired light golden brown color and crunch. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Best enjoyed slightly cooled down but right out of the fryer and served with Veg'd Organic Ketchup!
****Tips- A deep fat fryer thermometer is a great tool for this recipe, and will help you attain the perfect frying conditions. Peanut oil is preferred for frying due to its neutral flavor and high heat tolerance.